Re: [tlug] SuSE 9.1 - 9.3 Upgrade Saga

Keith.Wilkinson@example.com wrote:

>It seems that with SuSE there are two ways to upgrade/fix a borked
>system: one is to use the Upgrade function in YAST while running
>the old system, and the other is to boot from the CD or DVD and
>pretend that you're doing a new install.  When it gets to "partition",
>it will detect the existing system and ask if you want to overwrite it
>or fix it.  Have you tried this "fix"?

Not yet - does that do things any differently than the upgrade install?
One other thing holding  me back is that even my clean install  of 9.3
(put onto a squeaky-new empty hard drive no less) also has one erratic
issue.  Although everything is working fine, on some boot-ups, instead
of the detailed list I generally get, I get a black screen (and I mean
completely black/blank) all the way until the User LogOn page.  It's
nothing more than a mild irritant, but still, what's with the erratic
behavior?  One normal boot-up, I get a screen of details, another normal
boot-up, I get a blank screen?  It's acting more like a temperamental
magic box than a machine governed by the laws of science!

Another factor is that, while I was desperate for a solution when I
couldn't access either the floppy or the CD-ROM, now that I can - albeit
in a round-a-bout way - it's not a major problem, so I'm not overly
eager to invest a lot more time on it at the moment (too many things I'm
behind with that *need* to be done!).  The Ctrl+S issue is something I'd
like to get solved though - that is slowing me down all the time.....

Lyle