Re: [tlug] OT-Japanese in PHP

On 5/21/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> I find it incredible that in mid-2005 this capability is "hopefully"
> in the "near" future for *clever* browsers, and that professional web
> admins are deliberately setting page charsets to Shift JIS.

You're quite right about this :). I found a book about CSS/HTML in
japanese that was written in 2004, and inside it was advised not to
use UTF-8 because some characters don't display well........ The
generally accepted idea is that since Shift_JIS was created by
Japanese people for Japanese people, then it handles the Japanese
language better than UTF-8, which is not true (^_^)

Evan