Re: [tlug] OT-Japanese in PHP

On Friday 20 May 2005 15:51, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I apologize up front if I've broken a golden rule, posting this here.
> I'm learning PHP/MYSQL and am trying to get Japanese pulled from the
> database to display correctly. I've set this at the top of my pages,
> and this for the font
> I don't claim to know much about HTML either. I'm just building a
> little dynamic site for my company, minus any bells and whistles
> interface wise. I'm hoping some people on here work with this kind of
> thing daily. Again, if I'm outa line, sorry for that. Cheers.
>
> P.S. The Japanese displays fine in phpmyadmin on both Linux/Windows
> boxes.
PHP allows to have separate encodings for the internal php engine and
for the html output. If you are running pho on any unix/linux platform,
the preferred internal encoding is "EUC". For the output encoding, if
you haven't set any output encoding convertion (using multibyte
handler), the output might be an unconverted and hence will be in the
encoding of the internal engine (EUC).

Please check your php.ini file for the encoding settings in the
[mbstring] section.

-Thomas