[tlug] music and audio tools

I'm a home musican and use a rather expensive peice of Windows software
called Cakewalk Sonar to compose music (midi and audio), the new version
is $US1000. This is fantastic software but I'm finding that I really
don't need all the functions provided.

Lately there have been a lot of free plugins released to provide
functions such as sound processing such as reverb and softare synth plus
there are a number of free Linux applications that seem to be mature so
I am thinking of trying them out.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Specifically I am
interested in using USB or Firewire sound and midi devices. The biggest
risk I see is with the hardware, buying a 60,000yen audio interface is a
big risk if I can't get it working with free software.

Brett

--
Brett Robson
Systems Administrator