Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] Re. Japanese-language on SuSE

I'm still a neophyte at using english/japanese input but
have been using it since SuSE 8.something.  I currently have
one laptop (sony r505) running 9.1, another laptop (HP
something) runing 9.2 and a Dell PowerEdge SC420 runing 9.2.
I don't remember any real problems with installs on any of
them.  The Dell went in with no problems at all, the modem
and wireless don't work on the HP, and on the Sony, the win
modem doesn't work, but the wireless works fine.

All were installed in english -- and then I added everything
except the Latex stuff that was Japanese.

Mostly I use hirigana input with Canna and Kinput2.  I'm
still trying to learn Japanese, and don't do much Kanji yet.
And I haven't figured out how to input katakana with Kinput2
without inputing the whole word then converting.

The install of Canna server from Yast set things up so it
starts at login -- maybe boot -- not sure.  And I have a
script I use to execute functions I want to input Japanese.
It sets LANG=ja_JP.eucJP, LC_ALL=ja_JP,
XMODIFIERS='@example.com=kinput2', then backgrounds the task.  My
goal was to be able to run some tasks with IME input and
others in English.  It sort-of works, but some things seem
to come up in Japanese after the first time the script is
run, even though they weren't run in the same process space.
I don't understand this, but it's not to difficult to live
with, so I haven't put much time into figuring out what's
going on.

I think I found all these settings on the TLUG site and got
some help from the members getting things running, but have
had no problems at all for some time.  Actually -- I don't
know if I would have ever gotten this working without TLUG
assistance  --- Doumoarigatogozaimashta!

I'm still trying to get from eucJP to utf-8, but haven't put
much time into this.  And I currently have SuSE 9.3 sitting
at the back of the desk.  RSN I'm going to upgrade one of
the boxes and see how it goes, so can't say anything there
yet.

The apps I use mostly are xterm, mleterm and OpenOffice (1.1
throught 1.1.3), and all work well for me, but like I said,
I'm still a neophyte.

I'd appreciate any pointers anyone has on moving to UTF-8.

Also, totally off topic -- I will be in Tokyo for a week on
vacation the 21'th to the 28'th.  Do you guys ever get
together for a beer after work?  This will be my first time
back since in Japan 1955 when I was a kid and I'm excited
about it.

Steve S.