[tlug] [tlug-digest] Japanese-language on SuSE

> Betreff:
> [tlug-digest] [tlug] Japanese-language on SuSE
> Von:
> Keith R Mannisto <KRMannisto@example.com>
> Datum:
> Tue, 10 May 2005 16:30:53 -0400
> An:
> tlug@example.com
>
> An:
> tlug@example.com
>

> I'm sorry to have to post this subject again, though it seems to be a very
> common topic for the TLUG.
>
> I will be in Japan 19-May through 30-May
>  .I shipped my daughter a HP NX5000 SuSE (9.2) Notebook for her to use in
> Japan.  Before I shipped the system I loaded every package that had the
> word JAPANESE  in it (at least that is what I recall) with YaST.  But, my
> daughter has NOT been able to get the system to enter into a Japanese text
> entry mode.
>
> As I search the WEB, it seems obvious that Suse and Japanese entry DOES
> work!  The only problem is that there is not a Step 1, step 2, ...
> instruction anywhere, except for SuSE 8.2.  Which since I don't have the
> Notebook system here I haven't been able to try.  I should add that I know
> NOTHING of Japanese character entry.  So much for the sob story...
>
> The question: Can someone provide me with direction for SuSE 9.2, (which is
> English language install), as step by step procedure to get Japanese
> language entry working?
>
> I believe that we need to start with YaST and verify and/or install the
> correct packages.
> Next, activating or running the translation engine, yes?
> Others?
> Any scripts to modify?
> Any Fonts to load?
>
> If this topic has been covered too much on the list, please e-mail me with
> any comments or replies to: krmannisto @ uss .c o m (a work e-mail address
> in a vain attempt to control the spam that may result from having to post
> my e-mail address,  NOTE remove spaces in e-mail address to use).
>
> Thank you for any help that you can provide for me to use on this project
> while I am in Japan next week.
>
> Regards,
> Keith M.

Hello Keith,

I have been able to get Japanese working on all SuSE 7.2  7.3  8.0  9.0
(others not tried). Please check:
1. Did you install  Canna  (or another Kana-Kanji conversion programme)?
2. Is the Canna engine started automatically? (type  > cannastat  to check)
3. Did you install  kinput2 ?
4. Did you set the following variables ?
    > export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8  or  export LANG="ja_JP.UTF-8"
    > export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
5. Did you start  kinput2 ?
    > kinput2 -canna&
If you do 4 and 5 from a terminal window, you can start any application
which has capability to handle Japanese input. Within the application
Japanese input is toggled on and off by Shift-Space.

You can also create a file .xim  in the home directory, by copying and
modifying from .xim.template .

Much better and detailed information is here:
http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/suse-cjk.html

regards,
Thomas Piekenbrock