Re: [tlug] Newbie buying a computer and installing Linux on it

> Word doesn't work all the well on MS-OS either!

I see.

> Personally I'd pick up an old Dell in Akihabara and drop in a new hard
> drive (you might need to upgrade the BIOS for that) and up the memory.
>  On the other hand, some new computers are so cheap now, I wonder if
> it's really worth it to buy used stuff any more...

Someone told me today i could order a laptop from the States and have
it shipped here without paying duties on it.  Just make it look used.
But Akihabara would have the advantage of having Windows in Japanese
already installed on it, which i do want as a backup plan, just in case
i can't get Linux to handle a Windows file and in case i don't have the
knowledge necessary to do something on Linux, even if it's possible.
(Not that i know any more about Windows, but...)

Windows 98 runs on the same computer as Mandrake, and it runs faster
than i've seen XP running on much faster, brand-new computers.  I mean
how long it takes to start up, for applications to open up, whether
Word can keep up with my typing speed in Japanese, etc.  The computer,
by the way, is a Fujitsu 6700 TX4.  Plenty fast enough for my purposes.
  (A laptop at this speed would be just fine).  I've also heard from a
Japanese colleague that file sharing between Windows 98 computers is
smoother than with XP computers.  (Another reason why my colleagues
should switch to Linux).  Which makes me think i should try to get a
Windows 98 CD, along with the computer.  In that case, a used laptop
bought in Japan might be ideal, but i'd want to have some kind of
service, where if the hard drive burnt out on it or something, i could
return it or they'd put in a new drive for me.  At least like a
one-year warrantee.  Do Japanese used computer stores even offer
warrantees like that on used computers?

> Mozilla included an e-mail client you know... or if you only want to
> use it for browsing, there's FireFox.

Yes, i'm using the Mozilla client on the Wall Street now.  For some
reason, Eudora 4.2J would not work on it after i switched to broadband.
  I think i like Mozilla better anyway.

> Anyway, if you've already been using Mandrake, then you have some idea
> of what it it's about.

Yes, it wasn't that bad.

> I'm using SuSE myself - and they have a version with ATOK integrated
> into it, which should be good for Japanese input.  I have a laptop
> that I installed SuSE in, choosing Japanese from the start.  I
> separate it by user, not partition.  I have a user set up for English,
> and another user set up for Japanese.

Okay, that makes sense to me.  A friend tried to explain something
similar to me, but i didn't get it until today.

> I don't think there is any need for dual book of two Linux installs
> for dual language purposes.

I have to reboot all the time on the Mac, but it sounds like i wouldn't
have to do that on Linux, at least not as much.  Which would be
wonderful.

I have noticed that Dell computers have been recommended many times
before here.  Why is that?  They are well-built, i seem to remember
reading in a previous post.  Any other benefits of Dell?  Are they easy
to install Linux on?

Thanks.
Joe