Re: [tlug] Newbie buying a computer and installing Linux on it

On 月曜日, 5 2, 2005, at 04:24 PM, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On May 2, 2005, at 09:58, Joseph Essertier wrote:
>
>> I have 2 old Macs, but installing Linux on them sounds really hard
>> and time-consuming,
>
> How old?

One of the first iMacs and a Wall Street (233 mghtz.?)  The iMac has
lots of problems, such as a broken CD drive (CD stuck inside it),
broken keyboard, and broken mouse.  OS 10.3 was successfully installed
on it, but it was really slow.

> This weekend I was playing around with Ubuntu on my iMac, and was
> pleasantly surprised by how smoothly everything went.  Ubuntu offers
> both "live" and "install" CD-ROM images for download/BitTorrent.  If
> you have broadband, trying the "live" CD is painless since no
> installation is necessary to explore it.
>   <http://www.ubuntulinux.org/>

That sounds great.  I tried to download the "live" version and run it
on the Wall Street, but must have done something wrong because although
the files are all there on the CD that i burned, when i try to start up
with the CD drive--by holding down on the "C" key--it doesn't seem to
recognize it.  It just ignores the CD and starts up in OS 9.2.  Is
there a little step-by-step guide on how to burn an ISO CD somewhere,
something i've never done before?

Joe