Re: [tlug] cp oddity - bingo

> There is a quirk that I have seen in email servers, and I had thought it
> was just windows specific.  Sometimes it will create a refrence to a file,
> but the file itself will either not be there, or be totaly fragged to the
> point that the file system doesn't want to aknowledge it any more.
>
> Sometimes you can delete them, but not always.

Bingo baby that must be it.  The disk copied from was made under
windows.

I looked in the folder on the disk (orginially made under windows) where
there was a missing item reported when copying and it says there are
three items but there are really only two pictures (even showing hidden
files).

ie -- ls /media/cdrecorder/actions/switching

boy pushing in electrical p.jpg  girl switching on light.jpg
boy pushing in electrical p.jpg

that resulted in

cp: cannot create regular file
`/home/javauser/Rei/aba_2/cdrecorder/actions/switching/boy pushing in
electrical p.jpg': Permission denied

cp -R copied everything but reported some errors.  those error were
probably caused by junk left by windows.

copying under nautilus choked though, and it stopped without there being
even two items.  so when I saw the discrepancy in count, I assumed those
files didn't get copied.  in truth, it looks like the windows junk cause
a permission error to be reported