Re: [tlug] cp oddity

    Shawn> sure sure and I had permission to write in the destination
    Shawn> directory which is why about 11000 files got written there.

You didn't say there was a single destination directory.

    Shawn> Why I scratch my head is that 6 did not.  I mean I was
    Shawn> writting to a 755 directory as the owner.

The other possibilities are that you didn't have space (unlikely, that
should not return "permission denied") or that there are multiple
files with names that map to the same name on the target FS and the
kernel refused to overwrite.  The latter could happen if somebody got
case sensitivity wrong at some point in mounting one of the file
systems.