Re: [tlug] A semi-related question

Kenneth,

The Apache and FreeBSD licenses may provide what you are after.

http://63.249.85.132/fbsd_intro.html

§ What is the ``new BSD license''?

 • FreeBSD is NOT under the GPL license. FreeBSD is under the so-called
new, or two-clauseBSD license, which is very friendly to
commercialization. Tangentially, the X Windows license and the Apache
web server license are similar to the new BSD license (NOT to the GPL,
which requires that any code statically linking to GPLed code also be
placed under the GPL, making the source openly available and
non-proprietary).

        The ``new BSD license'' is arguably the least restrictive open
        source license. BSD code can be used in any fashion desired,
        including in proprietary products. The ``English'' version of
        the license is effectively that you can do anything you want
        with the code, but if you use BSD code you can't sue anybody -
        you have no warranty and none of the developers has any
        liability.

        This means you can take any BSD-licensed code and include it in
        your own proprietary products. You do not even have to make
        anyone aware that you are using BSD code. You do not have to
        make your source code available. You can thus use BSD code as
        ``engineering building blocks'' without getting involved in the
        contortions related to GPL-licensed code (for instance, figuring
        out how to dynamically link to GPLed code rather than statically
        linking).