Re: [tlug] Keyboards

ijw@example.com wrote:

>Not exactly Linux related, but...
>
>I need a new keyboard, because this one is a bit cheap, and the key
>movement's now gone a bit sticky when you don't hit a key dead on the top.
>
>I want one that hasn't got an excess of 'web' buttons that I don't need.
>USB preferred.  So:
>
>- Has anyone had a keyboard that they particularly liked?
>
>- Is it possible to get a US (or better still UK) layout keyboard around
>here?

US layout keyboards used to pop up now and then when I did my Akihabara
wandering in 2002.  There was one shop at the end of "Used Alley" (my
name - I  have no idea if the street actually has a name) the same
street that Otto is on - at the other end, that seemed to pretty
consistently sell US keyboards on the 2nd floor.  Actually, I picked up
a (new) US keyboard at Otto once, but usually they don't have them I
don't think.

The best keyboard I have is a Funai 101 keyboard.  No extra junk at all
- not even those bloody "W" buttons that force the space bar to shrink -
just two large Ctrl & Alt keys on both sides of the large space bar.  I
got it at a small shop just before they moved and I was never able to
find them again, but in any case, the exact keyboard I'm using seemed to
be old stock (although new), so I don't know if it's still available or
not.  Also, it's not USB.

In any case, I would definitely recommend getting a 101 keyboard without
that "W" junk on it - it cuts down on errors and facilitates touch
typing of all keys.  I'm able to use the Ctrl+ whatever function quite
effortlessly and error-free by touch with this keyboard, and the overall
feel is quite good for touch typing in general.

Lyle