Re: [tlug-digest] Re: [tlug] Fedora Core 3 questions

On Thursday 14 April 2005 13:45, Jim Breen wrote:
> =?UTF-8?B?R8OhYm9yIEZhcmthcw==?= <gabor@example.com> wrote:

> >> generally there's a faq:
> >> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html
>
> I didn't find it that helpful. The general IIIMF FAQ at
> http://www.openi18n.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=ind
>ex&req=viewarticle&artid=105&page=1   was much more useful.
>
> >> technically there's no need to use XIM anymore...
> >> gtk2 based programs (like gnome-terminal or firefox) can use gtk2
> >> input modules which work much better...
> >>
> >> there are many input methods, fedore seems to prefer iiimf.
> >> so i would recommend you to use iiimf.
> >> add the gimlet applet to the taskbar, and with that you should be
> >> able to switch the languages easily..
>
> Done. I now have Gnome Terminal sailing along quite well. Haven't
> sorted out all the tricks with IIIMF yet, but I am much closer to
> seeing off kterm.
>
> FWIW, the launch string for Gnome Terminal becomes:
>
> 	env XMODIFIERS=@example.com GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim gnome-terminal

Here another tip that would help you is, the default LANG, LANGUAGE,
LC_ALL variables. If your LANG variable is set to en_US.UTF-8, then you
need to explicitly set the LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8" to enables the
japanese input in englsh GNOME/KDE environment . You can set this
either in the /etc/sysconfig/i18n or /etc/bashrc or in your .bashrc
file.

-Thomas