[tlug-digest] Re: [tlug] Fedora Core 3 questions

=?UTF-8?B?R8OhYm9yIEZhcmthcw==?= <gabor@example.com> wrote:
>> Jim Breen wrote:
>> > The installation has gone OK, but a few questions have arisen:
>> >
>> > (a) how do I get Gnome Terminal to talk to Canna? Can it use kinput2 in
>> > XIM mode or do I have to use a different IM?
>>
>> generally there's a faq:
>> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html

I didn't find it that helpful. The general IIIMF FAQ at
http://www.openi18n.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=105&page=1   was much more useful.

>> technically there's no need to use XIM anymore...
>> gtk2 based programs (like gnome-terminal or firefox) can use gtk2 input
>> modules which work much better...
>>
>> there are many input methods, fedore seems to prefer iiimf.
>> so i would recommend you to use iiimf.
>> add the gimlet applet to the taskbar, and with that you should be able
>> to switch the languages easily..

Done. I now have Gnome Terminal sailing along quite well. Haven't
sorted out all the tricks with IIIMF yet, but I am much closer to seeing
off kterm.

FWIW, the launch string for Gnome Terminal becomes:

	env XMODIFIERS=@example.com GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim gnome-terminal

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 9554