[tlug] "Seagate 80GB HDD Autopsy"

I just did an autopsy on my dead Seagate 80GB HDD.  The report along
with a couple of photos of the parts is at the following site:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/PDF/PDF_History/PH_01/SeagateHDD.html

- just the text (without photos) is as follows:

"Seagate 80GB HDD Autopsy"

I like to take apart broken machines before wrestling them kicking and
screaming into the garbage or - giving up the fight - putting them into
a drawer to sleep for years until a still working part finds a second
life in another machine.  And so I started loosening screws on the front
and back covers of my dead 80GB Seagate hard drive out of habit, but
without really expecting to get very far due to past experience with
bank vault hard drives that required a sledge hammer and blow torch to open.

I was pleasantly surprised (in a melancholy way of course; I would much
rather have that drive alive and still working) to discover that it
wasn't taped, welded, riveted or glued shut, but came apart quite
easily.  The dissection of the device then turned out to be far more
educational than I had expected.  More than anything, I like to get the
hard drive disks as very cool mirrors and figured any problems were
within the IC chips and absolutely impossible to see, so imagine my
surprise to discover a couple of what I consider to be design faults in
the drive:

1) The bottom cover shouldn't be there.  It's probably to make the drive
quieter, although the cover itself claims:
     "This SeaShield (TM) helps protect your drive from electrostatic
damage and makes installation easier."
     But whether it's actually there for electrostatic protection or for
noise, and regardless of whether it was actually the cause of the
drive's catastrophic failure, it, with it's blue foam right up against
the chips of the drive's circuit board, has got to elevate temperatures,
and high temperatures are an enemy to long life of electronics.
     There's a simple solution to this though - if you have a similar
Seagate drive, just remove the two screws that hold the steel cover (the
bottom, not the top!) with it's insulating blue foam, and remove the
bloody thing!  I've been looking at hard drives with exposed circuit
boards for years and years, I think that's probably the best way for it
to be, with the chips out in the open and better able to cool.
    (Disclaimer - If you remove that cover on your Seagate drive and
anything happens, including fire, smoke and flaming hard drive, I am NOT
responsible.  I'm just expressing my opinion here - it's your
responsibility whether or not you agree with my reasoning!)

2) A real shocker - I discovered a no-plug,-by-pressure-only set of
connectors for the drive's circuit board (this has always been a proper
plug before).  I don't recall having seen this arrangement in any other
hard drive I'm dissected before, but it was used for a Sony AM radio I
used about 12-14 years ago.  That radio would work for a few months and
then it would cut out from time to time and you'd have to hit it to
reestablish contact with either/or the speaker connectors or battery
connections.  Twice I took it in for repairs and they just cave me a new
one - which ended up with the same problem after a month or two.  The
third time they gave me that same bloody design, I wrote to the factory
and explained that the design was defective and they actually answered
my letter and the next time I got the radio back, they had soldered the
speaker and battery connectors - and finally actually fixed the problem
(the next model of the radio had a different design, if I remember
correctly).
     Now - a cheap radio with a design that is obviously designed for
easy assembly and not long life is one thing, but using that inferior
and bloody overoptimistic design in a hard drive is begging for disaster
I think!  Seagate?  Hello?  Cut that nonsense out already!!!

I haven't dissected the type of 120GB IBM/Hitachi drive I'm using now,
but I expect (hope-hope-hope) that it is of a more robust design.  We're
talking about the hard drive after all!  The one device in the computer
that really should be overbuilt.  A burned out sound card is one thing,
but loosing the hard drive is a traumatic experience.

Lyle H Saxon