Re: [tlug] nessie - the loch ness monster of programming languages

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 01:15:45PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> You're aware that Python 3 is not likely to actually happen before
> Guido dies?  ;-)

yes, yes, it became clear when i saw how long ago they have been talking
about it already.

> Note that Python (like LISP, Smalltalk, and Haskell before it) _is_
> strongly but dynamically typed.  You can find out the type of any
> object.  What is being considered for Python is declarations (like
> those of Common LISP) that are hints to the compiler for optimization;

yes, i know that, it is pretty much what nessie and pike have now.
my article did not make that clear, i know. i am not very good at
writing, and i also didn't want to stuff the article with to many
complicated details.

the point i wanted to make is, that nessie has now, what python may have
sometime in the future (or never), so if you are impatient, then why not
try nessie?

> they are more like C's "register" declaration than C types (which
> actually aren't all that strong, as type systems go).

yeah, i read that c is statically but weakly typed.

do you have a pointer to docs that explain how common lisps typing works?

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world