Re: [tlug] Redhat Enterprise and PHPs MBSTRING

    Keith> I'm currently working on a web page database display
    Keith> problem, but I think it's almost licked. (Browser is not
    Keith> detecting the character set correctly).

Correct solution: replace browser.

In my experience, though, only Safari of the common GUI browsers (IE,
Netscrap, Moz/FFux, Galeon, Konqueror, Opera) seems to have this
problem.  Usually it's server-side lossage.  Are you sure that there's
no conflict among (1) the HTTP Content-Type header (2) the meta
http-equiv=content-type element (3) the XML charset (if XHTML or other
XML) and (4) the actual content?  Is the browser trying to negotiate
charset and you give it a different one?  Are you sending an HTTP
Content-Type header with charset parameter at all?

    Keith> It looks as if the secret is to avoid translation of
    Keith> character set where possible;

It shouldn't matter as long as the Content-Type is correct (excepting
Safari, and I haven't yet confirmed what its problem is---given the
general quality of the sites---all Tsukuba-dai :-¬---this could be
server side issues, too).

    Keith> This stuff is poorly documented.

Python's httplib facilities fo I18N are fairly well documented, and
Zope's is pretty straightforward.  Python's I18N facilities are in
general excellent.  Not that that helps you since you have a lot
invested in PHP by the looks of it, but those who haven't settled on
an implementation framework yet, it's something to consider.