Re: [despammed] Re: [tlug] printer won't print

Patrick, thank you for your encouragement.

> if you want a canon laser printer that doesn't use Capt then
> you need to shell out an extra 10man.

Of course I don't care what the brand is, but I certainly don't want to
pay that kind of money. (For one thing, I know that inkjet printers are
evil devices intended to extort via toner sales, but I don't print that
much, and 8man or so buys a fair quantity of inkjet toner cartridges.)

Me:

>> It needs CUPS 1.1.17 (1.1.19 recommended), and I
>> hadn't (and haven't) a clue what version I have

(Look in YaST, ya dummy!) 1.1.18, I learn. Aha.

I've always been intending to install a newer distro. Come May, I'll
have time to do that. Perhaps the printer will work with it. If it
doesn't I ought somehow to be able to get it to work with Panther,
whereupon I'll take it home to connect it to my iBook and resume using
the HPLJ3P here. (I should have got my new toner for the latter.)

> Let me know if there is anything else i can tell you

You may wish you'd never said that. . . .

Years ago, back in the MS-DOS era, there were no major worries about
new, unsupported printers. You'd just use a driver for an older, cruder
printer. I don't hear any of that these days: instead, I'm told that
_the_ drivers are on a CD, and newer ones are available for download.
Frankly, I'd be happy if I could merely get this geewhiz printer to
emulate a 300dpi printer designed a decade ago. SuSE 8.2's YaST2's
printer configuration doodad is (or purports to be) ready for the Canon LBP-

1000
1260
1760
310
320 Pro
350
4+
430
460
4sx
4U
600
660
800
8AI

Do you think there'd be any point pretending that the printer was one of
these?

P太