[tlug] SuSE/Libranet/Panther friendly laser printer (was: Fedora Friendly Printer)

Hello all. Unless HP Japan surprises and delights me on Monday by saying
that yes, it has and can quickly deliver a cartridge for my pleistocene
LaserJet IIIp, I fear I'm going to have to get a replacement in a rush.

Raphael Plasson wrote

 > The best place to check what are "Linux friendly" printers is here:
 > http://linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

-- a summary of which for a personal laser printer would be:

# Kyocera's FS-1000(+) and FS-1010: excellent
# Other Kyocera: OK
# Samsung: excellent
# HP LaserJet 1200: good
# HP LaserJet 1000/1005, 1010/1012/1015: bad

I've located the Kyocera FS-1010,
http://www.kyoceramita.co.jp/products/ecosys/eco02/fs_1010/index.html
but there's no mention of the LaserJet 1200 on
http://h50146.www5.hp.com/products/printers/laserjet/index.html
(discontinued? different name?), and Samsung doesn't seem to sell
printers in Japan.

Meanwhile, this linuxprinting.org page doesn't mention Oki(data) or
Brother, which I thought were the big names in this market within Japan.
http://www.brother.co.jp/ doesn't seem to mention Linux, while Okidata
does show a single printer, the "Microline 22NR", as having Linux
support -- but at an RRP of 105 thou, it's twice as much as I was
expecting to pay (and three times what I was hoping to pay).

Well that seems to be simple, then: the Kyocera FS-1010. Still, other
tips are most welcome.

(NB I'm just a single guy in an office to himself. I rather wish my old
LJ were a bit quieter and did 600dpi+, but its speed is perfectly
adequate. What I can't stomach is the toner consumption of the inkjet
printers I've encountered.)