Re: [tlug] Re: MPEG stream analyser?

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:32:38 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Josh> The greedy media conglomerates come up with some half-assed
>     Josh> "anti-piracy" (read: anti-consumer) scheme,
>
> What we really need to do somehow is to separate the issue of open
> source from the issue of consumers wanting something for nothing.

Very true, and the main thrust of my argument in a previous thread. [1]

There is also the issue of fair use, and I would think that, having
paid for a disc, being able to play said disc in Japan, on a
standalone DVD player, is well within my rights as a consumer. Ditto
for being able to make a copy of the original, in case of damage to it
(this *does* happen, BTW).

As for greedy consumers, they have been taught quite well by the
Capitalist Robber Barons (Rockefeller, Mellon and those chaps being
the first, but certainly not the last--Bill Gates springs to mind),
that all is fair in business. If the consumer sees himself (rightly or
not) getting screwed by corporations right and left, he is unlikely to
think twice when downloading music for free from the Internet.

And in the defence of the ordinary consumer, I think the success of
iTunes has proven Jobs right: "People are not criminals; give them a
decent way to pay for music online and they will use it."

-Josh

[1] http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0406/msg00050.html