Re: [tlug] OT: laptop in Akihabara

On Tuesday March 22 2005 11:55, Andras Kristof wrote:
> Thomas Savarimuthu wrote:
> >On Tuesday March 22 2005 10:55, Andras Kristof wrote:
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>I will be visiting Japan at the end of this week, and while I am
> >>there I would like to pick up an ultraportable notebook in
> >> Akihabara. Linux compatibility would be a definite plus.
> >
> >I think, going behind the fancy japanese deal is not good idea for
> >timebeing.
> >
> >Dell is a best price deal, but you have to wait them to deliver it
> > to you eventhough they have a stall in most of the bic-camera
> > buildings and a Dell shop @example.com
> >
> >If you want to pickup one immediately, consider any one of the
> >following.
> >
> >Gateway/E-machines (ultimately chinese maker)
> >Acer (taiwan maker)
> >So-tech (korean maker)
> >Asus (new series of laptops are good)
>
> Thank you for your comments.
> I'm afraid I am looking for something more like a Panasonic R3 or a
> JVC 741, or a Sharp Muramasa. Something rather small, a sub-notebook.
> We don't have much variety of them in the States, and the speciality
> importers, like Dynamism are quite expensive.
>
> So I thought I'd try to pick up one myself.
>
> For that, I would like to know what place in Tokyo worth to check
> out. I am aware that notebooks can be found in many shops there. So I
> would like to narrow my focus to only go to the places with the best
> variety and preferably good prices.
>
> If you are familiar with the Tokyo are and could recommend a store
> like that, that would be most appreciated.

I understand your need. But, i wonder whether any of the above models
come with english OS (?)
You may checkout the duty free shop on the 7F of "Laox" main building
for english models. Alternatively, Laox has a computer only building
(behind the softmap) where you can find most of the latest sleek
models. Also, please do not forget to check out the softmap shop.

-Thomas