Re: [tlug] Audio CD Issues

Dmytro Koval'ov wrote:

>Your impression about analog copy protection is wrong. There isn't any
>correcting circuitry in television. On the opposite, there's a
>"damaging" circuitry in any produced recently analog video device
>(tape recorder, analog to digital converter etc.) It's licenced by
>MacroVision and it's purpose is exactly this -- to damage video signal
>when it detects some "special frequency", how they call it (I don't
>know what kind of frequency or signal it is -- never went on to
>finding details of it). That "special frequency" is added to all
>commercial tapes (also licensed from MacroVision on a per-tape base).

Are you saying that the damage to the signal is generated by the video
tape player then?  I have some difficulty believing this - isn't it
inherently in the data on the tape?  I was able to copy video cleanly
from a VHS deck to a Hi8 deck BTW (expensive bugger that was -
Y200,000), but not the same material from the same VHS deck to another
VHS machine.  I still think - from what I previously read (years ago, I
don't have the reference now) and also experienced, that the MacroVision
damage is within the data on the tape and not (actively) generated by
the hardware.  Incidentally, the corrective circuitry I mentioned had
nothing to do with MacroMedia, but is part of the standard parameter of
television signal processing.

But never mind video!  Actually, what I want to do is to record clean
audio!  I don't care about movies!  I don't *want* to copy them!  I do
want to eventually digitize my own Hi8 tapes, but that's a different
story again.  Any info on audio?

Lyle