Re: [tlug] Re: Alan Cox's remark at Fosdem

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:10:13 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Uva> To me that is like saying we should fork the Linux kernel
>     Uva> and keep the forks separate because it will improve Linux
>     Uva> overall.
>
> Ehem.  Isn't that precisely what happens on a regular basis?  It's
> just that Linus doesn't kick anybody out for forking, so some code to
> do whatever it is eventually wends its way back in.

Chaos doesn't lead to order. Order leads to order. Order begets
understanding. Understanding begets clarity, and currently the Linux
camp is in a world of hurt because they don't have clarity. This is
their current predicament. Expecting forks to create harmony isn't a
well thought out plan. Forks often do more harm than good. Merging two
designs into one often leads to one borked design (i.e., GCC and the
linux kernel) and furthermore leads to extra time fixing the merged
code than producing a well thought out design and code in the first
place.

I could go on but I'll end there for now.

-uva