Re: [tlug] Re: Color Codes

On 2005/01/24, at 23:05, Brett Robson wrote:

> Tobias Diedrich wrote:
>
>> Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
>>

>>> "I've added an asterisk (*) to all the non-dithering, web-safe color
>>> codes, just so you know which ones they are.  These are the colors
>>> that show up the same on every computer no matter what (or so I've
>>> been told)."
>>>

>> I guess this means the colors from the "web-palette" for indexed
>> 256 color mode.  Since nearly all users are using Hi- or Truecolor
>> these
>> days, this is not an issue any more.
>>

> That is dithering. I have already explained what web-safe means.

Not really. What people say 'web-safe' colour is not as you explained.
Check this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors

What web-safe means in some situation is, for example, it will display
precisely the same as what the printed one shows, especially for the
large cooporations. And as Stephen pointed out, it is technical not
feasible. It is not an issue in most cases, though.

--
BABA Yoshihiko

Town Planner (Kyoto Center for Community Collaboration)
Support, Translation and Documentation Team, Fink Project
(http://fink.sourceforge.net)