[tlug] Color Codes

I've been searching and sampling different color code pages (via links
suggested by Google) and while I'm finding a lot of things, would still
like to ask if someone out there knows a particularly good site.  One
site that looks promising so far is this one:
http://www.childoflight.org/mcc/colorcodeA.html

A question that site raises with this comment:

"I've added an asterisk (*) to all the non-dithering, web-safe color
codes, just so you know which ones they are.  These are the colors that
show up the same on every computer no matter what (or so I've been told)."

Is this something that is a big worry?  In looking at the charts at that
site, the majority of the colors do not have the asterisk, so I'm
wondering if using the more unusual colors will result in the type of
problem that fonts have, where if an unusual font is used, then it
becomes something hideous when opened on a machine without that font.
In the case of colors, first - is this in fact a problem?  And if it is,
do browsers go to the very nearest color, or to something way off-base?

Lyle