Re: [tlug] Re: HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

> You usually need the right mount options to tell the kernel how to
> convert between filesystem encoding and unix locale encoding.
> That's where the iocharset and utf8 mount options come into play.
> If you use the standard ja_JP locale, then "iocharset=euc-jp" should
> do the job, for UTF8 locales the simple option "utf8" should be
> enough (which is just a shortname for iocharset=utf8 AFAICT).
>
> I.e. mount -t ntfs /dev/foo /mnt -o utf8
> or   mount -t ntfs /dev/foo /mnt -o iocharset=euc-jp
>
> (The default iocharset is iso-8859-1, which of course doesn't work
> for japanese filenames)

As soon as I get home I wil give this method a try.
I suppose I wil learn the answer in a few hours, but out of curiosity,
since I am not in a Japanese locale, and I am in a LIVECD with no
japanese support (nor, apparently, the ability to add in japanese
support), will I still be able to access these files? I am hoping that
the filenames are seen as "gibberish." I am hoping even more that they
will be copyable gibberish.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it goes!
dave