[tlug] Re: HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

David Bennett wrote:

> The BIG problem is that Slax (and/or Konqueror) completely ignore
> any filename or directory that is in Japanese. No "?" or no "X"'s
> it simply does not see the files and it is as if they are not
> there.

You usually need the right mount options to tell the kernel how to
convert between filesystem encoding and unix locale encoding.
That's where the iocharset and utf8 mount options come into play.
If you use the standard ja_JP locale, then "iocharset=euc-jp" should
do the job, for UTF8 locales the simple option "utf8" should be
enough (which is just a shortname for iocharset=utf8 AFAICT).

I.e. mount -t ntfs /dev/foo /mnt -o utf8
or   mount -t ntfs /dev/foo /mnt -o iocharset=euc-jp

(The default iocharset is iso-8859-1, which of course doesn't work
for japanese filenames)

HTH,

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de