Re: [tlug] HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

Patrick Niessen wrote:

>If your linux boot cd can handle the disk, but not the character
>conversion, perhaps try dd command do take an image of the partition
>to one on the other disk. I am not sure this will work though if the
>sector is broken.
>
>eg.
>
>dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hdb3
>(check dd documentation for more detailed options

yep, it should work well (I already have rescued filesystems in this
way, didn't remembered of this). If you want it to work, add the option
conv=noerror. With the nonerror, it will skip all errors without
stopping. I also think that (but not sure of... please check) the "sync"
option has to be added to conv (ie add "conv=noerror,sync" to the dd
command line), so that it will replace the bad blocks with "0" and keep
the file system in a good shape...