Re: [tlug] HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:54:13 +0900, David Bennett
<davidbennett1979@example.com> wrote:

> I have installed Windows on a new HD and can boot up windows with
> "access" to the broken drive. The problem is Windows crashes whenever
> it takes a look at the drive because of the sector errors. Botting up
> to windows (whether it be a bootcd, a new parititon, a boot disk)
> doesn't help much because when a utility starts to look at the disk it
> just crashes.

If your linux boot cd can handle the disk, but not the character
conversion, perhaps try dd command do take an image of the partition
to one on the other disk. I am not sure this will work though if the
sector is broken.

eg.

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hdb3
(check dd documentation for more detailed options

--
Patrick Niessen