Re: [tlug] HELP! A possible Linux Rescue CD for my Japanese files!

Extremely newbie and very-much struggling Linux network
administrator Micheal E. Cooper here.

As a long-time lurker, I finally have something to add to
the list, since in general, I don't know diddly from
Buckwheat (Bo Diddley, that is):

I have, in the past, used a WindowsPE (pre-install
environment) CD to save Windows files from similar HDD
crashes. Windows XP (this means latest version of NTFS,
since Windows updated the file system upon releasing XP,
in order to 'improve security,' which probably means
keeping Linux users out) boots from the CD in full-scale,
glorious GUI mode. Looks just like a regular XP machine,
only slower. I used a CD that I got from an Australian,
and it was a loan, and he swore up and down that he got it
legally. That's all I know.

Anyway, it worked when the Windows installation boot-up CD
didn't. This particular WinPE was for the English version
of Windows, so it would not be useful here, but if you
know someone who has a Japanese-capable WindowsPE CD, you
might be in business.

Please forgive the suggestion of a Windows solution.

Micheal

--- David Bennett <davidbennett1979@example.com> $B$+$i$N%a(B