Re: [tlug] OpenOffice content type for mail attachments

    Charles> I'm a user of the Mew-Emacs mailer, and I've been having
    Charles> trouble with sending OpenOffice (*.sxw, etc.) file
    Charles> attachments, as the mailer presently seems to lack the
    Charles> settings for appropriate content type to encode the
    Charles> attachment when it goes out--and thus they are corrupted
    Charles> when the recipient tries to open them.

application/octet-stream should always preserve contents, and is the
appropriate default for attachments of unknown type.  If your
recipients are getting corruption, then either Mew is broken, or their
installations are broken by definition (the politically correct way to
say "broken" is "overly helpful").

kazu> I could not find an appropriate content type for *.sxw in the
kazu> following official page:
kazu>
kazu> 	http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/

    Charles> I might just have to go over and sign up on one of the OO
    Charles> fora and ask around.

You had better do so; if they're not registered, then there may be an
unofficial x-openoffice-lossage media type, and you shouldn't try to
guess.

As an interim measure, if you've installed the Open Office package via
a distro, it probably registers its MIME types.  FWIW, the Debian
mime-support packages registers .sxw in /etc/mime-types as

application/vnd.sun.xml.writer			sxw

That seems a good guess, and Debian mime-support is presumably pretty
close to official, but I don't understand the application/vnd
namespace; perhaps they are not IANA-registered (I suspect "vnd"
stands for "VENDOR").