[tlug] VMWare GSX Server

Dear All,

I have finally received approval to purchase GSX Server for our
company, and plan to install it within the next weeks.

The Host OS will be Suse Linux 9.1 on a Compaq  Proliant ML350 and a
SMART Array controller.  I chose Suse because as the "base-layer" of
this construct it is important that errors do not come from unexpected
quarters, and 9.1 is officially supported by VMWare.

As guest OS I will use NT4 Server + Exchange, Windows 2003 AD
Controller, and Linux for LAMP and Samba.

Does anybody have experience to run Suse Professional on this
Hardware?  My past experience with Suse Consumer Products and Compaq
Hardware was rather negative (Grub, Raid Driver, Suse bloody support).
 They have the enterprise product which seems to be guaranteed to work
and includes support, but at ~350 USD / year its actually the same
price as Windows Server Licenses.  Also VMWare only officially
supports Enterprise Linux 7 and 8, however the latest one is 9 (which
includes 2.6 kernel).

Any other advice before I procede?

I normally run Gentoo on my servers here, but for this thing it is a
bit too risky...

--
Patrick Niessen