Re: [tlug] Japanese TV + Radio Tuner Card

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 06:56:48 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
<ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
> Something else occurs to me though - wouldn't it work to just buy a
> bottom-of-the-line video device like a VHS recorder and then run the
> output signal from that through a video card into the computer?  It
> never ceases to amaze me how expensive component parts are.  While I see
> floppy drives selling for Y1,000, my last complete computer (minus only
> the HDD) cost Y2,000!  You could probably get a VHS machine with damaged
> tape handling but a perfect tuner for free.  You have to pay to throw
> away machines here now, so you'd be taking it off someone's hands by
> accepting it for free!

I had thought about that actually, but the only problem is the channel
/ station changing. I guess it would be possible to get some sort of
USB or serial IR dongle, program in the proper sequences for the
remote unit and point it at the VTR and do it that way.. Though I
figured it would be simpler and more reliable to go with a PCI tuner
of some sort that I can control directly. I am hoping it can work
unattended 99%.

--
Pawel Szymczykowski