[tlug] Conversion of Kanji new form to old form

Is there a tool to convert a kanji string between the new kanji form
used for most printing now (shinjitai) and the old forms (kyuujitai)
that were used before the Showa reforms and are still used in many
things now? Especially a tool in emacs would be most welcome.

What I need to do is to search for a string of characters in a file that
may use the old forms, and I may be putting in into the computer in the
new form.

Actually what I really really want is a way to say that I don't care
whether or not the kanji is in old or new form, just like you can search
ignoring capitalization.  And the ultimate would be to also ignore any
new lines and punctuation in the middle of the string.  Needless to say
I have searched around the tlug archives and the web in general (in
Japanese and English), but nothing comes up.

Thanks,

David Riggs

Nichibunken, Kyoto