Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 03:18:00PM +0900, Wayne wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 14:58 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> > That's not a reason to _avoid_ Mandrake.  You're _not_ "locked in" as
> > long as you maintain a disciplined structure for your data; you can
> > always move it to a new system that better fits your needs as you
> > grow.  One good way to achieve discipline is a regular backup regimen
> > (which is highly recommended for other reasons, eg Murphy and PEBKAC).
>
> It seems to me Debian, Gentoo, etc, are distros that attract people
> who like putting on overalls and tinkering with their cars at the
> weekends, tightening this and oiling that. Me, I just want to put
> the key in the ignition and drive.

> like some of you so I'm going to unsubscribe from this forum and
> let you have some peace from us tedious noobs
>

> Wayne

Hrrm, not sure what brought this on unless I missed a post.  I don't
think there's too much distro snobbery here.  You quoted from Stephen's
post (and he's probably the nicest of the gurus) but I don't think he
sneered at your distro, he simply pointed out what he considers a
difficulty in using it.

I also don't think we have a low tolerance for any newcomer who likes to
learn.

Anyway, my answer to my users who just want to get in and drive--
don't know why people love that analogy so much--is, "fine, I'll give
you a written test, then you can use the computer with a qualified adult
next to you."  :)

I hope that you don't leave the list.  The sort of thing that arouses
the ire of the gurus isn't the newcomer, nor even the person who shows
that OSS can be easily used, but the one who wishes to make no effort.
Judging from your posts, I don't think you fit that category.  Despite
your comments about just wanting to drive, IIRC your posts do show that
you've made some efforts on your own.

By the way Stephen, I do know one guru who uses Mandrake,  a fellow on
NYLUG.  He strips it down completely, but he is one of the more
knowledgeable people on a very knowledgeable list.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: She's playing you. She tried to kill you.
Angel: That was just. . . That was just a cry for help.
Buffy: A cry for help is when you say Help in a loud
voice.