Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 10:17 +0100, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
> > After about 2 years of hasseling a friend of mine, he finally
> decided
> > try linux a couple of weeks ago... i suggested he try ubuntu even
> > though
> > i have absolutely no experience with this distro, i have never even
> > installed it. But i heard good things about it. My friend installed
> it
> > and  he absolutely loves it.
>
> and i hate it - had only problems with it:
> first it had problems when i installed it after the first 8 gb of my
> hdd, then it didn't recognized my soundcard and my networkcard. my
> soundcard is an onboardchip which runs with the standard via
> '97-driver
> and my network-card is an old 3com...hardware which every distro
> supported until now...

<snip>

Which obviously proves there is no "one size fits all distro" and
that *choice is a good thing* and "one man's meat is another man's
poison" and other such cliches and there are people, who like me,
prefer RPM based distros :-)

Ohh, look, it's well after 5 and I haven't had my first brew yet!
I'll soon get that sorted out:

$urpmi yebisu-black

$To satisfy dependencies, package kaki-no-tane will be installed
$Yes/no
$

Wayne