Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

> No flame war :-) but Mandrake's 'urpmi' command makes installing
> RPMs as easy as picking a bogey! :-) Once you have set up a few
> software sources just issue the command:

it sounds like mandrake may be the best of a bad bunch. Basically the
whole rpm thing may have been "a good idea at the time", but it just
doesn't scale, and that is why every rpm distro now has some horrible
wrapper for downloading and dealing with dependencies. They all have
different names and work with different flags. I am flat out with
"emerge" and "apt" to get involved with "yum", "urmpi" and whatever suse
might use.

If you have been using one of these distros for a while and you know how
to use one of these wrappers then i am sure it is fine... but i don't
think it is a good idea to pass this legacy on to new users.

There are almost as many debian based distros as rpm based but if
newbies learn to use a debian based distro they always have the option
of using plain debian later or changing to easily to another debian
based distro...

anyway, enough said ... i don't really want to upset anybody with a my
dog is blacker than yours argument, ... in the end as long as you are
not using that other OS you are miles ahead of the game.

Enjoy your holidays everyone... regardless of your distro ;-)

Patrick