Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 00:21 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Lately I've been recommending Mepis to folks who want a JustWorks(TM)
> distribution.  (I also recommended Ubuntu to a friend without trying
> it--he's a guru but wanted a JustWorks--I don't mind bloat if it Just
> Works(TM), he wrote--distro).

> Having now tried it, I felt Mepis required a little less research to
> get
> everything working.

I've seen a few people suggesting Mepis recently too. AFAIR that's
a KDE based distro, right? When I first started using Mandrake,
about 9 or so, I used KDE but recently switched to Gnome and I
really like Gnome 2.8.x The later KDE versions have some features
that I find annoying!

> As for Ubuntu and a root password, that's correct--they work in the
> same
> way as Mac OS X, doing everything with sudo.  I haven't looked into it
> thoroughly, however, I'm sure there's a way to set and use a root
> account if you wish.

As a Linux NOOB myself I found the urpmi command invaluable to
getting my system up-to-date and software installed, especially
the libdvdcss stuff, which is why I switched from OS/2 to Linux
in the first place! I need to watch my DVDs!!! I really need a
simple way of finding and installing all this stuff, that's
why I stick with Mandrake. A guy's got to learn to walk before
he can run! :-)

Wayne