[tlug] Re: Laptop and Coffee

Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:

> My gf made it somehow that coffe dripped on her laptop. The laptop runs
> but the keyboard is doing strange things. When the laptop starts it
> beeps very often and when you try to type it recognizes most of the
> letters not or it does things like this example:
> Type 2 and you get "2rfx,5" and then it types 5 without an end.
> Do you think that it can be repaired just with cleaning all the keys
> (not every key has coffee on it but nearly every key doesn't do what it
> should), does she "only" need a new keyboard or can we trash it?

Some moisture got into the keyboard.
If you are confident enough you could try removing and dismantling
the keyboard, drying the parts and reassembling it.  Otherwise you
probably could just wait for it to dry by itself.  Maybe accelerate
the process by putting it somewhere warm and dry (But not too warm).

I spilled Cola, Water, etc. on my Microsoft Natural Keyboard several
times, which would lead to symptoms like these.  It still works fine
after reassembling it a few times.  I even put the Parts into the
dishwasher once (After removing the electronics and the contact
foils) to clean it (Which was a bit too warm, it changed the keycap
color to something slightly yellowish).

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.uguu.de