Re: [tlug] Printing Japanese

>>>>> "patrick" == patrick  <patrick@example.com> writes:

    patrick> and i see you are a big unicode fan. Can use I use
    patrick> unicode with ptex or should i convert it to jis or euc?

AFAIK you have to convert to jis or euc (either will do).

I'm not a big fan of pTeX, actually (I've not succeeded in building it
since 1991!), but there isn't really an out-of-the-.deb alternative
that I'm aware of, and it's good enough for me.

Other possibilities would be CJK-latex (probably available as a .deb,
or straight from CTAN), and latex-utf8 (or something like that, but I
don't know that it can handle Japanese).  I've only used cjk-latex for
about 8 characters, it worked but it was inconvenient to set up, and
I've never used the Unicode adaptor for LaTeX.

It's a shame that nothing ever came of Omega.  It's quite cool, and
John and Yannis are quite fascinating (they show up at the M17N
conference in Tsukuba every couple of years).  But AFAIK it doesn't
handle Japanese at all (ie, nobody's written the font-to-tfm routines
for it).