Re: [tlug] Re: DVD Drive

Tobias Diedrich wrote:

>The resulting DVD-Quality varies from drive model to drive model.
>The software interface is standardized though, so it shouldn't matter
>which model you buy, it will be supported (With exception of newer
>features like burning double-layer discs).
>I also recently (the day before yesterday) bought a new drive (NEC
>ND3500A) which fared quite well in a test by c't magazine.
>It replaced an older NEC drive (ND1300A) which recently started to
>produce way too many coasters...

I bought an NEC ND3500A myself yesterday (for about Y7,000), and it's
working out better - particularly the problem I had where the
eject/insert button wasn't working with the Buffalo drive I had in it
before.  I've moved the Buffalo drive over to a W-box where it's working
well and I discovered - after many initial error messages - that I
probably could have used it by altering the software settings, as I had
to in order to get the NEC working.  Notably, I had to enable longer
file names (not for my own stuff, but some URL pages named by others)
and change the speed setting from "Auto" to "Ignore".  I was also quite
happy to discover settings for preserving write privileges (for backup
stuff) and a setting to preserve upper and lower case file names.  The
all-CAP file names I had been getting were a major source of irritation.....

Thanks for the tip!  I'm quite happy to finally make the jump to DVD
from CD-R!

Lyle