[tlug] Printing Japanese

Hello Everyone,

I have had a terrible sunday pulling my hair out trying to get Japanese
to print from the command line. My printer works fine, i can print
japanese from ooffice and emails with evolution. However if i put some
japanese text in a file and try to do "lp somefile.txt", I get nothing,
no mojibake even... nothing, the printer does move though.
Normal ASCII text is prints fine with lp.
I'm trying to get this to work on a debian box, but i also had a play
with it on my gentoo box. Both with the same results.
I was thinking about maybe installing a japanese distro like this ->
http://www.n-linux.com/
But it may not work out of the box either.

Anyway... this is killing me, any and all help will be much appreciated

Thankyou
Patrick