[tlug] Flash Freeze

The only thing that stops my computer completely dead in its tracks is a
flash memory card reader.  Sometimes it works, but when it doesn't, it
completely locks up the computer and no key combination or any other
action will get the computer going again.  The only way the computer can
be brought back to life is to forcibly dump the power and reboot it.
What is so powerful about a flash memory card reader that it completely
freezes up the computer?  Nothing else does......  (I'm using SuSE 9.1
Professional)