Re: [tlug] Japanese Input

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> writes:

> Anthy is small, I'd guess about 1/3 of the size of Canna or Wnn, but
> the dominating size issue is the dictionaries (3-5MB).  No experience,
> but it's small.  Small is good, right?  :-) It does rely on the Canna
> dictionaries.

I used Anthy with XEmacs (japanese-anthy input method) recently and it
seems comparable to the japanese-canna input method.

What I find annoying is that when running XEmacs, if Anthy is installed
on the system, XEmacs starts it up and all it takes to change input
methods is a couple of ESCs.  When I switch workspaces, my window
manager seems to send an escape character to the application in the new
window.  So I keep switching input methods unintentionally.

I also heard good things about SCIM, but when I tried it for Japanese
input, I found the Kanji conversion to be quite poor (I tried the
version that came with SuSE 9.1 - I hear it has changed a lot since
then).  Does anyone here have experience with it?  I'm interested in how
other people have found it.

Anyhow, I have a bit of info on how to input Japanese and save as UTF-8
on my page, if anyone is interested:

http://www.maruko.ca/i18n/

Marjan