[tlug] New Sound question no oss emulation <Was alsa problem on Debian>

Hello,
Finally Alsa worked out but I have still problems in the Oss
emulation. Practically, it seems that most of the applications
like games (tuxkart, armagetron) and probably the flash stuff
need the oss to work. I configured the modules.conf (and converted to
modprobe.conf )
as described by Scott in his hp
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/debian.html
using also some valuable hints on google.
I tried also the "direct way" as described here
http://www.alsa-project.org/~iwai/OSS-Emulation.html

Result: still no sounds on games and flash...
I've also installed the plib that contains the SL sound library via apt-get

The only clue is the error that I receive running tuxkart from xterm:
slScheduler: Needs a sound card that supports 8 bits per sample.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue?

I'm using Debian Sid with Kernel 2.6.8 if It's relevant.

Alex