[tlug] Alsa problem on debian sarge kernel 2.6.7 and Sb live

Hello, I have problems with Alsa on Debian, maybe the soundcard (Sb live -
emu10k1) is not recognized by the system however here are the test I did.

Using Debian Sarge Kernel 2.6.7 (distro default 2.6 series kernel)
Installed alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-source with apt-get.

Doing dpkg-reconfigure alsa-base should set the modules.conf script
but If I try to alsaconf and select the Sb live from the sb list I have
a could not load mixer, use alsactl restore. Doing alsactl restore:
alsactl: load_state 1134.

if I start manually
/etc/init.d/alsa start
same error alsactl: load_state 1134

Looking at /lib/modules/2.6.7.x/kernel/
I couldn't find the alsa module for my sound board (should be snd-emu10k1)

So I tried to dpkg-reconfigure alsa-source that should create
the needed modules. Tried alsaconf again but same error.

At the end I tried to compile the modules in the usual way
./configure --with-cards=emu10k1 --with-sequencer=yes;make;make install
the module appear correctly in the /lib/modules/..... folder
after a
modinfo soundcore
I tried
alsaconf but it returned the same error.

At the end I tried a cat /proc/asound/cards and I received
a -- no soundcard ---
error.

with lsmod however the emu10k1 appear correctly in the list and the board
is recognized correctly on the booting process.

Il looks like the soundboard is not recognized...
but it is not broken (works on the windows partition)

I didn't recompiled the kernel because googling around
I found that the sarge installer 2.6 kernel is already configured
for alsa.

Any clue? Have anyone successfully alsa working on Debian?

Alex