Re: [tlug] Linux with Shift Jis (using debian)

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 10:30 +0900, Alessandro Mantelliã€HOBIBOX】 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> All the files with filename in Japanese shared through samba cannot be
> displayed
> correctly. I think this is an encoding problem as my Debian machine is set
> as jp_euc, while Windows is usually sticked to Sjis.
> I tried a dpkg-reconfigure locales, but there is no such thing like
> ja_JP.sjis
> in the locales list.
> Has anyone set a Sjis locale on linux or solved this filename problem in
> other ways?

hi.

i would not change the locale on your system.

rather, tell smbmount the charset stuff.

read "man smbmount",

search for "codepage" and "iocharset".

as i understand, iocharset should be set to YOUR encoding,
and codepage to the windows SERVER encoding.

so something like "smbmount //server/share /mnt/sharepoint -o
codepage=shift_jis,iocharset=euc-jp".
or something like that.
i am not sure if those encodings are named exactly like i wrote it (i
used "iconv" charset names), but the idea should work.

bye,
gabor