Re: [tlug] Sub: best thing on the internet

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:46:10 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

> "Non-forgeable"?  We're not talking about forging anything.  We're
> talking about a real subscription of a real address.  All requiring
> confirmation does is slow down the spam by a few minutes, and require
> the spammer to keep that address open momentarily and send a couple of
> extra messages.

In that case I see Rule #3 is in full effect if this case was really a
spammer who signed up and confirmed purely in order to spam the list.

Most of the time, spammers won't bother with closed-loop opt-in lists.
They'll only bother with those that don't require a confirmation process,
and they'll subscribe using someone else's e-mail address - in effect,
subscribing that third party to the list in question.

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0, Linux 2.6.8.1-em8300)