Re: [tlug] Kyocera AH-K3001V (Opera Browser!)

I got one of these for my daughter -- but am using it myself
until after she finishes her final papers at university ;-)

Kyocera claims that their phone is the first to have (an Opera)
browser with support for cookies and *SSL* -- so you can view
your provider's secure web mail.  JRC is said to be planning to
offer some other such DDI PHS phones with Opera browsers.
Javascript is also supported, but not Flash.

"PRIN" is just using DDI (I recall) as your provider to access
the Internet -- but most providers offer DAL dial-up numbers
for direct access to their networks (for use of your regular
POP email address instead of the phone's DDI email address).
I think the phone supports three different email addresses
with three different (associated) dial up numbers/settings.

If you *don't* already have a provider with DAL support, PRIN
allows you to use your PC with a PRIN email address,
with the phone as a wireless modem, if I recall correctly.
In fact you don't need to use either PRIN or DAL for DDI email,
provider web mail, or web surfing.  I don't think PRIN is any
cheaper than DAL.

You can get "unlimited web surfing and email" 32kbps bundles
for about Y4,000 a month -- including use of the phone as a
modem for a connected PC -- but the cheapest phone (voice)
plan adds another Y2,400 or so to the bill.  The phone is
capable of 64kbps, but there are no unlimited 64kbps deals --
and "up to 128kbps unlimited" is about Y5,000 more.

The phone itself "costs" about Y8,000 (what you pay when you
sign up), assuming that you use it for 10 months -- if you don't,
you will be "fined" the rest of the full list price (about Y30,000)
when you cancel.

USB is not only the modem connection, it also allows you to
recharge the phone's battery from a PC. You can buy
PCMCIA cards that provide a USB-interface... (USB2.0)

Keith www.ispJapan.org