Re: [tlug] [Update] Potentially Dying Hard Disk Questions

Hello,
I followed most of the advice given here and things seem to be better
for my ailing hard disk.  For those who are interested, here is what I
and did and my preliminary results.

1) I changed the IDE cable.

2) While changing the cable I noticed the drive was in Cable Select
Mode.  So I changed it to slave, made the CDROM master and put it on
IDE channel 2.  Doh!

3) Installed the recommended smartmontools.

4) Ran the diagnostics smartmontools offers.  To my surprise the drive
reported no problems.

5) Setup the smartmon daemon to monitor the drive over time.

6) Let it run for the weekend.

7) Checked the logs and listened for noises.

After doing all of this I have noticed no problems.  The drive is not
making noises and the smartmon daemon is not reporting anything out of
the ordinary.

Of course, it is too soon to say that it was just a cable or IDE mode
setting problem, but hopefully that is all it was.

Thanks for all the help!
Zev